The term "biodegradable" has been used over the past few years, to describe plastics or packaging that could potentially be metabolized by microorganisms in nature, with complete breakdown to CO2/Methane, water and biomass. However, there is significant confusion and controversy surrounding biodegradable plastics since many suppliers have used the term to loosely describe their material/packaging without specifying the conditions under which the material would degrade in nature. For instance, some plastics (like PLA) will only degrade under industrial composting conditions, while some others (like PHA) can break down under a wider range of conditions and environments (industrial, backyard, marine). Given this widespread confusion and the misuse of the "biodegradable" term, many global government and industry organizations have issued guidelines to restrict or eliminate the unqualified use of biodegradable as a descriptor of plastics or packaging. These include the European Commission guidelines (European Plastics Strategy) and the Federal Trade Commission Green Guides in the US.
In line with such guidelines, Ubuntoo's recommends that companies providing biodegradable materials, products or packaging:
1.Avoid unqualified use of the term "biodegradable" to describe their products
2.Any claim of biodegradability should be accompanied by a description of specific conditions and environments under which the material or product will undergo degradation in nature
3.It is strongly recommended that companies provide globally accepted certifications or testing for various biodegradability claims (such as the BPA certification for industrial composting)
Further in line with the position articulated by the European Commission as well as major CPG companies, Ubuntoo recommends that "biodegradable" plastics should not be considered a solution for littering (or worse a license to litter). Appropriate collection and end-of-life solutions (such as industrial composting or home composting) need to be put into place to avoid biodegradable plastics ending up as litter in the environment.
Thank you for your interest in Ubuntoo. We’re excited that you’re here! To continue, you’ll need an account with us.
Recyc LeatherTMis recycling natural leather fibers from pre-consumer leather wastage, making eco-friendly products from sustainable materials.
With time, the end consumers are becoming more conscious, socially and environmentally. The demand for ethical, green and recycled products is increasing. The company manufactures both recycled leather and finished products, providing a green alternative for genuine leather.
Founder Olivier Grammont and Aron Wu developed a leather recycling technique. The source material contains 60% of the off-cuts and scraps of leather fibers, that usually goes to waste from industrial glove manufacturers. The remaining 40% includes 30% of vegetable origin products that include latex/rubber as a binding agent and 10% water based polyurethane.
How is it done?
Leather cutouts are collected and stored.
Suitable offcuts of leather are manually selected.
The Scraps are shredded and go into bounding machines.
Finished leather sheets are obtained, ready to be printed to obtain desired tint and grain.
The company claims that their products are lighter, have outstanding strength, retain the traditional appearance, and feels like genuine leather. Recyc LeatherTM is certified by Control Union and all its products are subject to rigorous SGS certification and contain no harmful substances.
Customers can contact the company through their website for the leather sample book and the details of the products.
This solution can benefit the home & living, architecture, and fashion industries.