Incubator - Social Alpha
Social Alpha believes that science and technology innovations and entrepreneurship has the potential to bring about a positive change in the life of masses. They search for entrepreneurs and innovators who are on a ‘mission to create social, economic and environmental impact’ and support them through their ‘lab to market’ journey, as they create compelling solutions to fight poverty and address India’s intractable developmental challenges.
Established in 2016, Social Alpha architecture is built around a not-for-profit platform (Section 8), Foundation for Innovation and Social Entrepreneurship (FISE) and operates through a nationwide network of technology and business incubation infrastructure, sponsored and enabled by Tata Trusts, Government of India and a number of academic, philanthropic and corporate partnerships.
Social Alpha offers start-ups the following features:
- Seed Capital - Providing milestone based seed funding and strategic convergence with industry and mainstream capital. Post milestone-based seed capital infusion, and with consistent monitoring of business plan execution and de-risking, Social Alpha attracts follow-on investments from their mainstream capital Venture Partners. As startups graduate out of incubation and accelerator programmes, they integrate them with the larger investor community that can now multiply the value proposition of these ideas.
- Product Market Fit - In order to facilitate solutions to be seamlessly integrated with the implementation programs of development institutions and government ministries, they help startups validate business models to build scalable solutions.
- Design and Manufacturing support - Hands on operational support for commercial grade product development; assistance with designing, rapid prototyping and design for manufacturing. They provide expertise in translating working prototypes into impactful and marketable solutions.
- Mentorship - Providing mentorship and expert advisory across business functions. Access to curated knowledge services which include theme based sessions and workshops on topics such as finance, compliance, go-to market strategy etc. to help entrepreneurs get introduced to new topics, and address gaps related to the topics.
- Shared services - Help business focus on their core purpose and distribute cost. The shared services support various functions such as Accounting, Taxation, Secretarial, Legal, IP, HR and Payroll, preferred rates and favourable packages for tech solutions besides State-of-the-art co-working spaces. They help entrepreneurs keep their operations lean and focussed on the core problems they are solving.
- Support System - The portfolio managers who are seasoned experts in Investment Banking, Marketing, Product Development, Venture Creation and HR, walk alongside the founders to listen, guide and make the right connects. They provide access to real-world sandboxes for pilots and validation.
Impact so far: 111 startups incubated, 2 successful exits, 18 follow on funding
HQ: Bangalore, Karnataka