Hidden Champion of the Ocean: Seaweed as a Growth Engine for a Sustainable European Future
New report Hidden Champion of the Ocean by Seaweed Europe shows that the seaweed industry in Europe represents a remarkable economic, social and environmental opportunity which can contribute towards achieving the targets of the Paris Agreement as well as the Sustainable Development Goals.
Breaking this vicious circle requires a systemic approach, which activates technology, finance, and policies smartly to build the industry by stimulating supply and demand at the same time. This systemic perspective recognises that a sequential, step-by-step approach is unlikely to work. Instead, five main dynamics need to come to play in parallel:
- European demand needs to grow faster, accelerated for example by the development of innovative product and service applications and access to new markets.
- Production capacity needs to increase to serve as much of this demand as possible.
- At the same time, production costs must be decreased significantly.
- Production must be supported by cost-efficient and well distributed processing facilities.
- An efficient bridge needs to be built to connect the demand and supply sides.
Read the full report HERE