creating a pro-renewables environment | university courses
From EdX and Imperial College
"This course provides the tools needed to build a low-carbon power sector around the world. By diving into the perspective of different players in the power sector - from investors through to utilities, regulators and project developers - you will be able to choose the right strategies, policies and other levers needed to incentivize a cleaner power mix in your own context.
This course explores the mix of approaches that can create a pro-renewables environment. It explores this from a policy, regulatory and supply-chain perspective and examines the incentives and rules available. Key policies are brought to life through case studies, learning from both success and failure."
Key messages of the course include:
- Ambitions for renewable electricity must be grounded in technical and financial feasibility
- Pro-renewables environments recognize the needs of energy supply chain actors (e.g. project developers, utilities, regulators, electricity customers) and balances pricing, fiscal and financial and wider policies to incentivize and drive the deployment
- There are multiple ways to encourage deployment of renewables across different scales – these have strengths and weaknesses and must balance the rate of deployment, affordability, and efficiency of generation
- Incentives and rules are a package and can be aligned to deliver affordable, efficient renewable electricity - several real-world examples demonstrate this
- Different countries have succeeded and failed in creating pro-renewables environments – demonstrating that while lessons can be used from these experiences, there is no single route to success and the environment must be bespoke to the circumstances of the country.
"This course should help decision-makers across the electricity supply chain, in both the public and private sector, understand what mix of incentives is ideal from their perspective."
- COURSE PRICE $49 USD
- 6 WEEKS
- 2-5 HOURS PER WEEK
- INTERMEDIATE LEVEL